The International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific (ICAAP) is the largest forum on AIDS held in the Asia and the Pacific region. Since the first ICAAP was held in 1990 – almost 25 years ago – the ICAAP has played a critical role in raising public awareness, building political commitment, strengthening advocacy networks and disseminating knowledge and experiences on HIV issues among stakeholders in the region.
Dates and Venue
The 12th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific (ICAAP12) will be held in Dhaka, Bangladesh from 12 to 14 March 2016 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The Venue is the International Convention City Bashundhara (ICCB), Bangladesh’s premier facility for international meetings and exhibitions. ICCB is conveniently located close to many three, four and five star hotels.
ICAAP12 is an opportunity to firmly entrench communities’ efforts to promote the game changers with respect to AIDS prevention, treatment, care and support in the Asia Pacific region that will lead to shared vision in the post 2015 agenda and end AIDS by 2030.
- To provide an international forum for communities and especially young people’s voices in the agenda setting for ending AIDS post 2015
- To promote increased responsibility and accountability for governments and the international community for ending AIDS
- To provide a platform for country-by-country analysis of innovation, science and social determinants which will lead to the end of AIDS
The theme of Dhaka congress is ‘Be the Change Towards an AIDS Free Generation: Our Right to Health’ which highlights the global and regional needs for achieving an AIDS free generation through science, innovation and community involvement and public private partnership.
The official co-hosts of the 12th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and Pacific (ICAAP) are Partners in Population and Development (PPD) and the Government of Bangladesh.
Assisting the co-hosts with the planning for the Congress are the following Civil Society Organizations: Bandhu Social Welfare Society; STI/AIDS Network of Bangladesh; and PLHIV
In addition, technical assistance to the ICAAP12 co-hosts and planner partners is provided by:
- International Centre for Diarrheal Disease, Bangladesh (icddr,b)
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU)
- Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur
- The James P Grant School of Public Health
The AIDS Society of Asia and the Pacific (ASAP) is the Convener for ICAAP12 and UNAIDS is theCo-Convener.